I finally finished Batman. Actually, he's been mostly done for quite awhile, but he still needed a cape, which my son was adamant in reminding me about on a regular basis. So here he is, with removable Batarangs and a utility pocket for his rope. My son is quite happy with him.
Here are some things I learned from the process:
The paint really does stiffen the fabric, so if you want less of that, use more GAC (or something equivalent), which thins the paint rather than weakening it. Since this toy is for a boy, the stiffness and durability of the paint is a plus as the doll will be easier to clean and will stand up a little better to rough use. He is still squishably soft.
Tacky glue seems to be holding up with the utility belt, quite well. I generally sew everything down, but glue was more practical in this case.
All in all, I felt this was a success. My daughter, of course, wants a Batman doll, too. Gotta love siblings :) Maybe Wonder Woman . . .
PS, if you want to view the Batman doll before paint, click on the post link here.